1996 ~ 2000. Harvard University. Sc.D.
1994 ~ 1996. Harvard University. M.S.
1992 ~ 1994. Seoul National University. M.S.
1998 ~ 1992. Seoul National University. B.S.
2005 ~ Present. Professor. Seoul National University. Graduate School of Public Health
2014 ~ Present. Founder/CEO, KoBioLabs. Inc.
2016 ~ Present, Board Member, International Human Microbiome Consortium
2015 ~ Present. Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports
2011 ~ 2013. Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Visiting Scientist
2003 ~ 2005. Assistant Professor. University of Texas Health Science Center at Huston.
2001 ~ 2003. Postdoctoral fellow. University of North Carolina.
The role of gut microbiota in metabolic and immunologic diseases
Phylogenetic and functional metagenomics
Honors & Awards
FDA Outstanding Research Award, Korean Food and Drug Administration (2017)
Excellence in Research Award, Seoul National University (2009, 2010)
Gross Memorial Award, American Biological Safety Association (1999)
Melvin W First Award, Harvard University (1998)
1. Si J, You HJ, Sung J, and Ko G*. 2017. Prevotella as a hub for vaginal microbiota under the influence of host genetics and their association with obesity. Cell Host Microbe. 21(1):97-105.
2. Lim MY, You HJ, Yoon HS, Kwon B, Lee KY, Lee S, Song YM, Sung J, Ko G*. 2017. The effect of heritability and host genetics on the gut microbiota and metabolic syndrome. Gut, Apr 6, 2015-311326
3. Lee H and Ko G*, 2016, Antiviral effect of vitamin A on norovirus infection via modulation of the gut microbiome, Sci. Rep. 16:6:25835
4. Lim MY, You HS, Rho M, Sung J, Lee K, Ko G*. 2016. Analysis of the association between host genetics, smoking, and sputum microbiota in healthy humans. Sci. Rep., 31:6:23745
5. Yassour M, Lim My, Yun HS, Tickie TL, Sung J, Song YM, Lee K, Franzosa EA, Morgan XC, Gevers D, Landers ES, Xavier RJ, Birren BW, Ko G, and Huttenhower G, 2016, Subclinical detection of gut microbial biomarkers of obesity and type 2 diabetes, Genome Med, 17(8):17
6. Si J, Lee S, Park JM, Sung J, and Ko G*. 2015. Genetic associations and shard environmental effects on the skin microbiome of Korean twins. BMC Genomics, 23:16:992.
7. Lee S, Cantarel B, Henrissat B, Gevers D, Birren BW, Huttenhower C, Ko G*. 2014. Gene-targeted metagenomic analysis of glucan-branching enzyme gene profiles among human and animal fecal microbiota. ISME J. 8:493-503.
8. Lim MY, Rho M, Song YM, Lee KY, Sung J, Ko G*. 2014. Stability of gut enterotypes in Korean monozygotic twins and their association with biomarkers and diet. Sci. Rep. 8:4:7328.
9. Lee H, Ko G*. 2014. Effect of metformin on metabolic improvement and gut microbiota. Appl Environ Microbiol. 80:5935-5943.
10. Lee JE, Lee S, Lee H, Song YM, Lee K, Han MJ, Sung J, Ko G*. 2013. Association of the vaginal microbiota with human papillomavirus infection in a Korean twin cohort. PLoS One. 8:e63514.